Gluten-free bread offers a number of benefits for people who have gluten intolerance or sensitivity, as well as those who simply choose to avoid gluten in their diet. Some potential benefits of gluten-free bread include easier digestion, improved nutrient absorption, increased energy, and improved skin health. Studies also show that going gluten-free also helps people manage their weight better, as they tend to eat more whole foods and fewer processed foods.
Without further ado, let me introduce to you a simple gluten-free bread recipe that can be baked in a banneton basket.
• 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup brown rice flour
• 1/2 cup tapioca flour
• 1 tbsp active dry yeast
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 1/2 cups warm water
• 1 tbsp olive oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour, brown rice flour, tapioca flour, active dry yeast, sugar, and salt.
2. Add the warm water and olive oil to the mixing bowl and stir until the dough is well combined.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm place for about an hour.
4. Preheat your oven to 425°F.
5. Generously flour your banneton basket with gluten-free flour.
6. Transfer the dough to the banneton basket and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
7. Place the banneton basket on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
8. Let the bread cool in the basket for about 10 minutes, then carefully remove it from the basket and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Baking gluten-free bread at home is an easy and rewarding experience, especially with the help of a banneton basket. Banneton baskets are not necessary for this recipe and a simple baking bowl will suffice. However, banneton baskets offer great benefits to making your home bread look like it came out of a nearby bakery! The natural rattan baskets help to shape and rise the dough and add an interesting texture to the finished loaf. Bannetons also absorb moisture from the dough, which helps create a light and airy crumb in the final product. In addition, the porous surface of the basket helps remove any excess moisture from the dough and prevents it from becoming soggy.
With this simple recipe, you can create delicious gluten-free loaves in no time! So get out your ingredients and mix up a batch of dough – you won’t regret it!
P.S. You can pick up banneton baskets at your local baking stores or here at Saint Germain Bakery.