Wood is naturally porous so an untreated surface can absorb moisture and odor from food. This moisture buildup inside the board can cause warping and cracking as the wood unevenly expands. Also, moisture promotes bacterial and mold growth on the surface of the board or even inside and may result to rot formation. Proper surface treatment is necessary to prevent all these from happening.
- Wash with cold water
- Before use, wash kneading board quickly under cold running water to remove dirt and dusts.
- Wipe dry thoroughly with cloth or paper towels and air dry.
- Do not soak or submerge kneading board in a sink of water. It will absorb water causing kneading board to crack when it dries
- Season with food grade mineral oil
- The cheapest and popular choice food-grade oil is the USP-grade mineral oil. Do not use vegetable oil or olive oil as this turns rancid quickly.
- Cover the whole surface of the kneading board with mineral oil. Ensure the back and sides are fully covered as well.
- Rub the oil on the surface of the board going with the grain with clean towel.
- Let sit for about 5-10 minutes or until the wood fully absorbs the oil.
- Repeat the process 4-5 times or until the wood is fully saturated.
- When the wood will not take more mineral oil, wipe off excess oil with a clean towel.
- To test, sprinkle a few drops of water on the board. Water will bead up on the surface, a sure indication that the board is properly and freshly seasoned.
There’s no need to wash kneading board after use, simply scrape off excess flour with bench scraper. However, if you need to, follow the following suggestions:
- Wash with warm water and mild soap
- Scrub kneading board with warm water and soap to remove food residue.
- Rinse, wipe thoroughly with clean towel or paper towels and air dry.
- Do not soak or submerge board in water to avoid cracking and warping.
- Use baking soda or salt as deodorizer
- To remove odor that may cling on the board, rub with coarse salt or baking soda and rinse.
- Wipe thoroughly with clean towel or paper towels and air dry.
- Do not wash in the dishwasher.
- You may need to re-season after deodorizing the board.
- Condition with food grade mineral oil
- Apply oil with a soft cloth in the direction of the grain.
- Let rest for 6 hours to overnight after application.
- Wipe excess oil with a clean towel.
- Apply once a month if the board is frequently used.
- Otherwise, apply oil 2 or 3 times a year.
- Make sure kneading board is completely dry before storing.
- Store in a dry place away from extreme temperatures.